Understanding how your bike works and how to fix minor problems will give you more confidence when you’re out and about.
CycleBoost’s Intro to Bike Maintenance is a 4 session course that covers all the basic skills you need to maintain your bike at home.
The course is aimed at complete newcomers to bike maintenance and will covers cleaning and lubrication, wheel removal and puncture repair, brakes, gear adjustment and chains.
All our courses are bookable online through Eventbrite. We are regularly adding new dates to our courses list so if you don’t see a date that works for you please keep checking back.
Similar maintenance courses are offered by Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative and Evans Cycles - A more comprehensive maintenance course is offered by Recycle Bikes so if you want to build on the knowledge gained on our beginners course you can sign up with them and take an additional course.
- Parts of a bike
- How to clean a bike
- How to lubricate a bike
- How to remove and re-install wheels
- How to remove tyres and inner tubes
- How to repair a puncture
- How to inflate a tyre
- How to check brake cables for friction and damage
- How to check brake pads for wear
- How to replace brake pads
- How to centre brakes on the bike
- How to repair chains
- How to inspect rear gear cables for friction and damage
- How to index rear gears